Game Analysis – Exeter City 1 Ipswich Town 1 (Exeter win 4-2 on pens)

EFL Cup – Round One

Despite a change of manager at Portman Road, Ipswich once again succumbed to lower league opposition in a domestic cup competition – this time exiting on penalties in the League Cup first round at Exeter City.

The Championship side gave full debuts to striker Kayden Jackson and loan midfielder Tayo Edun, while Freddie Sears came into the team as one of three changes from the 1-0 defeat at Rotherham. Midfielder Cole Skuse and striker Ellis Harrison both dropped to the bench, while recent acquisition from Peterborough, – Welsh winger Welshman Gwion Edwards – was ruled out with illness.

For League Two Exeter, there were four changes from their 2-0 win at Morecambe. Defender Craig Woodman, midfielder Jordan Tillson, former Tractor Boy Lee Martin, and striker Matt Jay were all drafted in, with Nick Law (mid), Lee Holmes (striker), Jonathan Forte (striker), and Dean Moxey (def) dropping out.

exeter v itfc

itfc v exeter.jpg

Exeter: Pym, Sweeney, Brown, A Martin, Woodman, Boateng (Sparkes 62), Tillson, Taylor (c), L Martin, Jay (Collins 52), Stockley (Abrahams 52).
Unused: Hamon, Forte, Oates, Croll.

Ipswich: Bialkowski, Donacien (Spence 46), Nsiala, Chambers (c), Knudsen, Chalobah, Edun, Sears (Bishop 66), Nolan, Ward (Rowe 78), Jackson.
Unused: Gerken, Skuse, Harrison, Kenlock


Championship side Ipswich took the lead on 37 minutes with a cross-cum shot courtesy of striker Jackson’s boot. The pass to Ipswich’s new frontman was supplied by Tayo Edun, and at 1-0 up, it looked like Ipswich might win their first game under Paul Hurst. But on 64 minutes, a free-kick from Exeter substitute Jack Sparkes panicked the Tractor Boys defence, and former Ipswich centre-back Troy Brown got his head on the ball and directed it goalwards to equalise.

Visitors Ipswich had further chances as former Shrewsbury midfielder (and new signing) Jon Nolan got a shot away after good work from Jackson, but it had too much power on it and cleared the home side’s goal. The same player had a chance in added-on time but found Exeter’s keeper Pym in good form. Exeter themselves found Ipswich glovesman Bialkowski in the way to deny Sparkes from a free kick, while the Polish custodian also saved from fellow home substitute Tristan Abrahams.

With 90 + minutes up, the game went to penalties. Exeter’s captain Jake Taylor missed the Grecians’ first, with Teddy Bishop doing the same for Ipswich. Pierce Sweeney, Abrahams and sub Archie Collins all found the net with penalties, as did Ipswich captain Luke Chambers and Blues striker Kayden Jackson. Young Chelsea loanee Trevoh Chalobah then missed for the Suffolk side, which left Lee Martin the chance to take Exeter through to the second round, which he duly did.

Exeter win 4-2 on penalties


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s